Eating fruit every day is one of the best ways to nourish your body with lots of vitamins and minerals. Despite the many health benefits consuming fruits offers, most people have a hard time meeting the recommended daily intake.
If that is true for you, this post will help you change that. You'll discover 10 easy ways to eat more fruit that you can start doing right away.
But first, let's get you motivated by taking a brief look at the benefits of fruit.
- Regularly eating fruit is beneficial to your health because
- What are the healthiest fruits?
- How many servings of fruit should you eat every day?
- 10 easy ways to eat more fruit
- 1.Prepare a smoothie
- 2.Eat fruit as a snack
- 3.Get a head start
- 4.Prepare a fruity dessert
- 5.Meal plan with fruit in mind
- 6.Experiment with fruit you haven't tried before
- 7.Drink hot lemon water in the morning
- 8.Add some fruit to your salad
- 9.Add lemon/lime juice to your meals
- 10.Add fruit to couscous or rice dishes
- Summary: 10 easy ways to eat more
- Some more tips for successful adding more fruits to your diet:
Regularly eating fruit is beneficial to your health because
- Most fruit is rich in nutrients and low in calories and fat.
- It can aid in the prevention of chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and some cancers.
- Citrus fruits and berries seem to play an especially valuable role in disease prevention
- It is an excellent way to increase your intake of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fiber.
- Fruit is particularly rich in vitamin C, potassium, and folate.
Summary:Fruit is rich in nutrients and usually low in calories and fat. Consuming it every day can aid in the prevention of chronic diseases. Moreover, it is a great way to nourish your body with essential vitamins and minerals, fiber, and antioxidants.
What are the healthiest fruits?
All fruits offer fantastic health benefits. Naturally, you should consume those that you enjoy the most and not force yourself to eat the ones you don't like.
- Red and purple grapes
Now that you know why you should eat more fruit let's take a look at how many servings you need and how big one serving is.
How many servings of fruit should you eat every day?
Although the recommendations vary, the consensus is that we should eat at least five servings of fruit every day. One serving is around 80 g (~1 cup) of fresh or frozen fruit and 40 g (¼ cup) of dried fruit.
Here are a few examples of what constitutes as one serving:
- One pear
- 80 g or 1 cup of grapes
- One peach/nectarine
- One mango
- 80 g or 1 cup blueberries
- Two tangerines
- One apple
- 80 g or 1 cup of strawberries
- One banana
- 40 or ¼ cup of raisins
- One orange
- Two small kiwis
Summary:The recommended daily intake for fruit is at least five servings. 1 serving is around 80 g (~1 cup) of fresh or frozen fruit and 40 g (¼ cup) of dried fruit.
10 easy ways to eat more fruit
1.Prepare a smoothie
Smoothies are a great way to get more fruit in. It is much easier to drink a few servings of fruit than it is to eat them individually. Plus, smoothies are super tasty, so they are a treat as well.
Additionally, you can make your smoothie even more nutritious by adding some green veggies and oats. Here are a few of my favorite smoothies:
2.Eat fruit as a snack
Fruit is called nature's candy for a reason ;). Snacking on fruit usually requires minimal effort while providing lots of nutritional value. I think it doesn't get much easier or tastier than a bowl full of fresh berries.
Or how about this Watermelon Pizza? Yum.
If you are looking for something more filling, pair fruit with a handful of nuts. A delicious option could be apple slices with almond butter.
Fruit is also great for on the go. You can easily take it with you when you are in a hurry or have an adventure-filled day planned.
3.Get a head start
Start your day off by incorporating at least one serving of fruit into your breakfast. This way, you already got some fruit in before you even leave the house. How great is that!
Plus, adding fruit to your breakfast is easy. You can add some berries or raisins to your oatmeal or top off your pancakes with bananas and strawberries instead of syrup.
Moreover, you can simply eat a piece of fruit before or after your main breakfast. Here are some more ideas.
4.Prepare a fruity dessert
But, my favorite fruity dessert, which also happens to be the healthiest, is preparing a fruit salad.
5.Meal plan with fruit in mind
Plan your meals for the week and try to incorporate your five daily servings of fruit into it. So, as you plan your breakfast come up with ways to add fruit to it.
Also, think about what fruit you would like to eat as a snack. Maybe you add some fruit to your lunch. Do you have time to prepare a fruity dessert?
Planning all this ahead of time will make it so much easier to go through with it.
6.Experiment with fruit you haven't tried before
I don't want to undermine the importance of seasonality and locality. Fruit that is in season and grown locally tends to be more nutritious as well as better for the environment.
Nevertheless, if you struggle with eating enough fruit, a fun way to increase your intake is by trying out fruits you haven't had before. Maybe, you decide to try something new every time you go grocery shopping.
Not only is it exciting to try new things, but your curiosity will also encourage you to eat the fruit. After all, you want to know what it tastes like!
So, you basically trick yourself into eating more fruit. 😀
7.Drink hot lemon water in the morning
I love to start my day with a cup of hot lemon-turmeric water. Not only does it help kickstart my morning, but it is also a super-easy way to get one serving of fruit in before I even have breakfast.
All I do is mix the juice of one lemon with hot water, 1 tbsp of turmeric and a dash each of ground pepper and cayenne pepper. And just like it's ready.
8.Add some fruit to your salad
You may think that adding fruit to your salad is odd, but it's genuinely quite tasty. Give it a try even if you have doubts, you won't regret it.
In summer, you can add some fresh berries to your salad. In winter, you can use orange slices, for example. Doing so is an easy as well as tasty strategy to increase your fruit intake.
Here are some recipes
9.Add lemon/lime juice to your meals
Incorporating lemons and limes is excellent for a variety of reasons. First of all, it is an easy way to sneak in one serving of fruit.
Moreover, lemon and lime juice boost iron absorption. Further, it is a secret ingredient that takes many recipes from good to great. And you get all of this in addition to the nutritional value these fruits already offer. 😀
This tip works particularly well for rice, couscous, and quinoa-based dishes, as well as curries, dal, and salads.
10.Add fruit to couscous or rice dishes
In addition to lemon/lime juice, you can also add whole fruit to your meals. Popular ingredients are pineapple and pomegranate seeds.
While fruit works particularly well in rice and couscous dishes, feel free to let your creativity flow (and let me in on what you come up with😃).
I like to prepare pineapple fried rice or a couscous salad with pomegranate seeds.
Here are a few recipes and some more ideas:
- Authentic Moroccan Couscous Salad
- Herby couscous with citrus & pomegranate dressing recipe
- Easy Vegan Pineapple Fried Rice
- Thai-Flavored Tossed Salad
- Pineapple Veggie Pita Bread Pizza
Summary: 10 easy ways to eat more
Some more tips for successful adding more fruits to your diet:
- Pick fruits that are easy to prepare and store like apples, bananas, grapes, pears, peaches, and clementines. The less effort that is required, the less resistance you experience toward eating them.
- Put fruit where you can see it because it increases the likelihood that you'll eat it.
- Don't shy away from frozen fruits as they remain most of their nutrients. Another benefit is that you can use them right away (no peeling, no washing, yay!), which makes them super convenient.
Summary:Choose fruits that are easy to prepare and store. Also, place fruit at a prominent place, so you remember to eat it. Moreover, don't shy away from using frozen fruits; they are nutritious and convenient.
What is your favorite fruit?